A jack plane is a versatile woodworking tool that is used for smoothing and flattening rough lumber. It is a must-have for any woodworker, whether you are a professional or a DIY enthusiast. The jack plane is designed to remove a lot of material quickly, making it ideal for roughing out a board or flattening a cupped or twisted board. It is also useful for removing saw marks and other imperfections from a board's surface.
When shopping for the best jack plane, there are a few things you should consider. The first is the blade's quality and sharpness. A sharp blade will make the plane more efficient and produce a smoother finish. The second thing to consider is the size and weight of the plane. A heavier plane will be more stable and produce a smoother finish, but it will also be more tiring to use. The third thing to consider is the type of wood you will be working with. Softer woods like pine and cedar require a less aggressive blade, while harder woods like oak and maple require a more aggressive blade.
In this article, we will review the best jack planes on the market and provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision. Whether you are a professional woodworker or a DIY enthusiast, we have a jack plane that will meet your needs.
Best Jack Planes
If you're looking for a versatile woodworking tool that can handle a variety of tasks, a jack plane is an essential addition to your toolkit. With its long, flat sole and adjustable blade, a jack plane can be used for smoothing rough lumber, flattening large surfaces, and even shaping curved edges. But with so many options on the market, it can be tough to know which jack plane is right for you. In this article, we'll break down the best jack planes available on Amazon, so you can make an informed decision and get the most out of your woodworking projects.
If you're looking for an affordable jack plane that can handle the initial preparation of rough timber, the Spear & Jackson CJP5 Carpenters No.5 Jack Plane is a solid choice.
- The cast iron body provides durability and stability during use.
- The precision milled base and faces ensure accuracy when planing.
- The 2 inch (50mm) wide high carbon steel blade is sharp and effective.
- The brass adjusting screw may interfere with the frog adjustment screw.
- The base of the plane may have a hollow, which requires sanding to fix.
- The sides of the plane may not be perfectly square, which may affect the accuracy of the planing.
This jack plane is a great option for those who are new to woodworking or need a budget-friendly tool for rough timber preparation. The cast iron body is sturdy and provides stability during use, while the precision milled base and faces ensure accurate planing. The 2 inch (50mm) wide high carbon steel blade is sharp and effective, making it easy to remove rough material quickly.
However, some users may find that the brass adjusting screw interferes with the frog adjustment screw, which can be frustrating. Additionally, the base of the plane may have a hollow that requires sanding to fix, and the sides may not be perfectly square, which can affect the accuracy of the planing.
Overall, if you're looking for an affordable jack plane that can handle rough timber preparation, the Spear & Jackson CJP5 Carpenters No.5 Jack Plane is a solid choice.
If you're looking for a high-quality jack plane, the Stanley 1-12-137 62-Low Angle Sweetheart Jack Plane is definitely worth considering.
- The one-piece base and frog eliminate chatter and increase accuracy, making it easier to achieve smooth, even cuts.
- The patented lateral adjustment locking feature ensures that the plane stays in place while you work, reducing the need for constant readjustment.
- The ductile iron castings make the plane durable and long-lasting, so you won't have to replace it anytime soon.
- The 63mm width may be too narrow for some users, especially those who work with larger pieces of wood.
- The lack of a cap iron may make it more difficult to achieve fine cuts, especially with difficult-to-work-with woods.
- The price point may be higher than some users are comfortable with, especially those who are just starting out in woodworking.
The Stanley Sweetheart 12-137 No62 Low angle Jack plane is a well-made tool that is perfect for both beginners and experienced woodworkers. The front knob and tote are made from genuine American cherry for user comfort, and the Norris type adjustment makes it easy to use. The adjustable throat plate also makes it easy to work with different types of wood.
While the narrow width may be a drawback for some users, the one-piece base and frog, patented lateral adjustment locking feature, and ductile iron castings more than make up for it. Overall, if you're looking for a high-quality jack plane that will last for years to come, the Stanley 1-12-137 62-Low Angle Sweetheart Jack Plane is definitely worth considering.
If you're looking for a versatile jack plane that can handle both smoothing and jointing tasks, the WoodRiver #5-1/2 Jack Plane might be the right choice for you.
- Modeled after Stanley Tool's high-end Bedrocks line
- Soles and sides are machined flat and square, requiring minimal tune-up before use
- Fine-grained ductile iron castings and fully machined frogs ensure durability and precision
- Blade may require some work to sharpen and adjust to your liking
- Made overseas, which may be a dealbreaker for some buyers
- Fit and finish can be hit or miss, with some users reporting minor burs or nicks
This 7-pound hand plane is part of WoodRiver's V3 line, which incorporates feedback from users and experts to create the best working planes possible. The blade is 2-3/8" wide, while the plane itself is 2-7/8" wide and 14-15/16" long. The Bubinga handles are lightly finished for a comfortable grip.
Woodcraft, the company behind WoodRiver, has been providing high-quality woodworking tools and supplies for over 90 years. With a 4.3 rating based on 59 customer reviews, this jack plane is a solid choice for woodworkers of all levels.
If you are looking for a budget-friendly jack plane, the Shop Fox D2674 might be a good option for you.
- The longer sole produces a very flat surface.
- The micro depth adjustment mechanism and lateral adjustment lever provide outstanding control.
- The quick release lever cap makes it easy to change blades.
- The casting can be porous and far from flat, which can impact the quality of your work.
- The finish on the wood might not be perfect.
- The blade and cap iron are shipped loose in the box, so you will need to spend some time flattening and sharpening the blade.
This jack plane is made of precision-ground cast iron and measures 14" long. It is designed to follow after the smoothing plane for a greater degree of lumber flatness. While this plane might require some work to get it ready for use, it is a good option for those who are on a budget and willing to put in some effort to get it working well.
Overall, if you are looking for an affordable jack plane that can produce flat surfaces and provide you with good control, the Shop Fox D2674 might be worth considering.
If you're looking for a versatile and reliable jack plane, the Rewan No 5 Jack Plane Set is a great choice.
- The set comes with an extra blade, ensuring you're always ready for any woodworking task.
- The ergonomic wood handle ensures a comfortable grip, making tasks feel effortless.
- The protective sleeve cover ensures your plane remains in pristine condition, shielding it from potential damage and dust.
- The iron may need sharpening and honing before use.
- Some users have reported that the plane is difficult to use out of the box.
- The product may not be as durable as some other options on the market.
Crafted with meticulous attention to detail, the Rewan No 5 Jack Plane is a premium tool that promises unmatched precision and durability. The versatile design makes it suitable for a wide range of woodworking tasks, from jointer plane projects to woodwork plane activities.
The ergonomic wood handle ensures that you can use the plane comfortably for extended periods, even when using it as a mortising plane or scrub plane. The protective sleeve cover that comes with the set helps to keep your plane in pristine condition, ensuring longevity and maintaining your tools.
While the iron may need sharpening and honing before use, the set comes with an extra blade, making woodworking projects seamless and efficient. However, some users have reported that the plane is difficult to use out of the box, and the product may not be as durable as some other options on the market.
Overall, if you're looking for a versatile and reliable jack plane, the Rewan No 5 Jack Plane Set is a great investment in quality, precision, and excellence.
If you're looking for a reliable jack plane, the Taytools Jack Smoothing Bench Hand Plane #5 is a great choice.
- The body and frog are made from nearly indestructible ductile cast iron, making the plane durable and long-lasting.
- The tote and knob are made from premium grade oiled and hand-rubbed Sapele, providing a comfortable grip for extended use.
- The iron is 0.120” thick and 2” wide and made from tool steel hardened and tempered to 55-60, allowing for precise and smooth cuts.
- The plane may require some tuning and adjustments out of the box to achieve optimal performance.
- The weight of the plane may be too heavy for some users, making it difficult to maneuver for extended periods of time.
- The lever cap, while made from plated cast iron, may not be as durable as other parts of the plane.
The Taytools Jack Smoothing Bench Hand Plane #5 is a reliable tool for achieving a flat and smooth finish. The precision machined sole and sides, along with the adjustable frog, make it easy to use on a variety of surfaces. However, some users may find it too heavy for extended use, and it may require some tuning to achieve optimal performance.
Overall, if you're looking for a durable and reliable jack plane, the Taytools Jack Smoothing Bench Hand Plane #5 is a great choice.
If you're looking for a high-quality jack plane that can produce an accurate and smooth finish, the Taytools #5-1/2 Jack Bench Hand Plane is a great choice.
- The ductile cast iron body and frog make this plane durable and long-lasting.
- The precision machined sole and sides ensure accuracy within 0.003" over the entire length of the sole.
- The Sapele handle and tote are carefully shaped, sanded, oiled, and hand-rubbed for a comfortable grip.
- At 6.9 pounds, this plane may be heavier than some other options on the market.
- The bed angle of 45 degrees may not be suitable for all woodworking projects.
- This plane may require some initial setup and tuning to achieve optimal performance.
This jack plane is ideal for cabinet makers and discerning woodworkers who require a high level of precision and accuracy in their work. The 0.125" thick and 2-3/8" wide tool steel iron is hardened and tempered to 55-60 HRc, ensuring a long-lasting and sharp cutting edge.
The adjustable frog and lever cap made from plated cast iron make it easy to adjust and tune the plane to your specific needs. The polished brass cap iron screws and adjusting wheels add a touch of elegance to the overall design.
In summary, if you're looking for a durable and precise jack plane for your woodworking projects, the Taytools #5-1/2 Jack Bench Hand Plane is a great choice.
If you're looking for a jack plane and don't want to break the bank, the WoodRiver #62 Low Angle Jack Plane might be worth considering.
- Heavy ductile iron casting provides durability and stability.
- High-carbon steel blade holds its edge well.
- Flat sole and square sides make it easy to use on a variety of surfaces.
- Bubinga tote and front knob may not be the most comfortable for extended use.
- Some users have reported quality control issues with the blade.
- Heavier than some other jack planes on the market.
This plane is proudly made by Woodcraft, America's leading supplier of high-quality woodworking hand tools, power tools, domestic and exotic wood, shop supplies, project plans and kits, plus so much more! Offering first-rate products for all your woodworking needs and designed to help you make wood work. Our family of brands include Woodcraft tools and supplies, Highpoint professional-grade fasteners and hardware, Pinnacle precision-engineered tools and Woodcraft Magazine.
The WoodRiver #62 Low Angle Jack Plane is a decent option for those who are just starting out with hand planes or who don't want to spend a lot of money. While it may not have all the bells and whistles of some more expensive models, it gets the job done and is built to last.
That being said, there are some downsides to this plane. The bubinga tote and front knob may not be the most comfortable for extended use, and some users have reported quality control issues with the blade. Additionally, it is heavier than some other jack planes on the market, which may be a consideration for some users.
Overall, if you're looking for an affordable jack plane and don't need all the bells and whistles, the WoodRiver #62 Low Angle Jack Plane is worth considering. Just be aware of its limitations and make sure it fits your needs before making a purchase.
If you're looking for a replacement blade for your Stanley Jack Plane, the Zeluga ZL-12-142 Replacement Blade might be worth considering.
- The Zeluga Replacement Blade is a cost-effective option for those who don't want to spend a lot of money on an OEM Stanley blade.
- The blade is heavy and thick, which can make it more durable and help it hold up to frequent use.
- The 25-degree bevel/angle can make it easier to use the blade on a variety of different types of wood.
- Some users have reported that the blade doesn't hold an edge very well and needs to be sharpened frequently.
- The non-cutting edges can be too sharp, which can make it difficult to use the blade without accidentally cutting yourself.
- It's made in China, which might be a concern for those who prefer to buy products made in the USA.
If you're on a budget and need a replacement blade for your Stanley Jack Plane, the Zeluga ZL-12-142 Replacement Blade is an affordable option. However, keep in mind that some users have reported issues with the blade not holding an edge very well, so you may need to sharpen it frequently. Additionally, the non-cutting edges can be sharp, which can be a safety concern.
If you're looking for a general-purpose bench plane for your workshop, site, or fine finishing, the Stanley 5 Irwin Plane 2In 1 12 005 Irwin Plane 2 Inch is a good option to consider.
- The chrome carbon steel cutter is hardened and tampered to retain a keen cutting edge, making it efficient for stock removal when preparing timber prior to finishing.
- The finger-tip adjustment for depth of cut and cutter alignment allows you to make precise adjustments to your workpiece.
- The unbreakable plastic handles and special cap iron design curve shavings and prevent clogging, making it easy to work with.
- The plastic knob is cheap and may break easily.
- The sole is not flat, which may require some time to flatten.
- The fit between the body and the frog may not be perfect.
This plane is a solid option if you're looking for a general-purpose bench plane that is efficient and easy to work with. The chrome carbon steel cutter is hardened and tampered to retain a keen cutting edge, which makes it efficient for stock removal when preparing timber prior to finishing. Additionally, the finger-tip adjustment for depth of cut and cutter alignment allows you to make precise adjustments to your workpiece. However, the plastic knob is cheap and may break easily, and the sole is not flat, which may require some time to flatten. The fit between the body and the frog may not be perfect, but it's still a good option to consider.
When it comes to purchasing the best jack plane, there are a few important features that you should consider. Here are some factors that can help you choose the right jack plane for your needs:
The blade material is one of the most important factors to consider when choosing a jack plane. Look for a blade made from high-quality steel that can hold a sharp edge for a long time. A blade with a high carbon content is often a good choice, as it can be sharpened to a fine edge and is less likely to chip or break.
The width of the blade is another important factor to consider. A wider blade can remove more material with each pass, making it ideal for larger projects. However, a narrower blade can be more precise and is often better suited for smaller projects.
Look for a jack plane that is easy to adjust. A good jack plane should allow you to adjust the depth of cut, the blade angle, and the blade position. This will give you greater control over the plane and allow you to achieve the desired results.
Comfort and Ergonomics
When choosing a jack plane, consider the comfort and ergonomics of the design. Look for a plane that feels comfortable in your hand and has a well-designed grip. This will help you maintain control and reduce fatigue during extended use.
Finally, consider the price of the jack plane. While you don't want to skimp on quality, you also don't want to overspend on features you don't need. Look for a jack plane that offers the features you need at a price that fits your budget.
By considering these factors, you can choose the best jack plane for your needs and achieve the results you desire.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the key differences between a No 4 bench plane and a jack plane?
The main difference between a No 4 bench plane and a jack plane is their length. A jack plane is longer than a No 4 bench plane, which makes it more versatile for different types of woodworking tasks. A jack plane is also wider and heavier, which makes it better suited for rough work.
Which manufacturers produce the top-rated jack planes for woodworking?
There are several manufacturers that produce top-rated jack planes for woodworking. Some of the most popular ones include Stanley, Lie-Nielsen, Veritas, and WoodRiver. Each of these manufacturers produces high-quality jack planes that are designed to provide excellent performance and durability.
What features should one look for in a jack plane to ensure the best value for money?
When looking for a jack plane, there are several features that you should consider to ensure the best value for money. These include the quality of the blade, the type of blade adjustment mechanism, the weight and balance of the plane, and the overall build quality of the plane.
Can a jack plane effectively be used for both rough work and finishing?
Yes, a jack plane can be effectively used for both rough work and finishing. However, it is important to note that a jack plane is better suited for rough work than finishing work. If you are looking for a plane that is specifically designed for finishing work, then you should consider a smoothing plane.
For a beginner, what should be considered when choosing their first jack plane?
When choosing your first jack plane, you should consider the quality of the blade, the weight and balance of the plane, and the overall build quality of the plane. It is also important to choose a plane that is easy to use and maintain, as this will help you get the most out of your woodworking projects.
How does a low angle jack plane benefit the user compared to standard angle planes?
A low angle jack plane has a lower blade angle than a standard angle plane, which makes it better suited for end grain work and difficult grain patterns. It also produces a finer cut and is easier to push, which makes it ideal for use on harder woods. Overall, a low angle jack plane is a versatile tool that can be used for a wide range of woodworking tasks.